As we close out the month of April and with it the first third of 2023, I wanted to provide you all with a brief update about crime within the village and thank you all for your partnership with our department. Those of you who attended one of my community meetings heard me say that to achieve maximum safety within our village we all need to work together, and I believe that is now happening to a large extent.
At the end of April last year there had been seven car thefts within the village, thus far this year there have been just two, a reduction of 71%. At the end of last April there had been two burglaries within the village, thus far this year there has been just one. There was also an arrest for attempted burglary in February, when our officers were able to apprehend a suspect who had come to the village to commit a residential burglary. Burglaries are down year to date by 50%.
We truly appreciate your diligence in helping to reduce crime. Our department will be rolling out some community partnership initiatives in the very near future. Please consider participating to help us further reduce crime.
Car theft reduction tips:
- Always lock your car and remove your key fob
- Lock your car and remove the fob at gas stations when fueling
- Garage cars whenever practical / possible
- Keep key fobs out of sight in your home
- Turn off your car and hand valets your key fob when parking
- Be alert for anyone who may be following you home
Burglary reduction tips:
- Make your house look occupied by keeping lights on throughout the inside after dark
- Set your alarm, even when you are at home
- Generally, the master bedroom is the #1 target, keep the alarm on unless you are in the room
- Lock up valuables – close your safe
- Monitor the motion notifications from your cameras
- Connect your alarm directly to our department
- Immediately report suspicious activity to our department